The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Square off these

Thursday, November 24, 2011

SAVOURY NEW YORK-STYLE RYE CRACKERS 
These crackers should definitely be thinner.
I made them to use up some dark rye flour. Finishing the bag was harder than I thought. I’ve made bread with it a couple of times but I'm not really sold on the coarse texture. (Mental note: Next time, get the finer type of flour.)
The crackers are all right and go really well with a thick and creamy soup but still, 30 pieces – tiles, more like! is a little hard to finish when there are only two people in the house and the Husband made a face after tasting one.
After sitting around in the glass bottle for a while, and not looking very attractive at that, I decided I would use the crackers for something else. So into the food processor they went where I whizzed them into crumbs, added melted butter and pressed them into a tart pan. After blind baking, I filled the tart case with a mixture of eggs, milk, cheese and various vegetables, and out came a flavourful (and more attractive) quiche with a savoury crust.
Quiche with a rye cracker crust
But back to the crackers.
I like the method of shaping crackers by simply rolling the dough out on parchment/baking paper and then cutting them with a pizza or fluted wheel. They are then baked like that without separating the pieces. Out of the oven, they come apart easily.
Roll out on parchment, place on a baking sheet and cut into squares with a pizza/fluted cutter, then bake

Similar recipes are available all over the Net, and I take no credit for the one I give below I am simply documenting it so I can access it easily. I might try it with spelt flour next time, as recommended by an online site.
The thing I want to know is why they’re attributed to New York? If someone can point me to the origins of these crackers, I would greatly appreciate it.

New York Rye Crackers
Makes about 3 dozen pieces

120g rye flour
100g all-purpose flour
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
cup vegetable oil
1 tsp honey
65ml water, or as needed

In a food processor, combine all the ingredients except the water. Process briefly to blend. Gradually add enough water until mixture comes together into a moist ball.
Preheat oven to 190°C.
Place dough onto a sheet of baking paper and roll out as thin as possible (this can be done in batches). Transfer the baking paper to a baking sheet. Use a fluted pastry wheel or pizza wheel to cut through the sheet of dough into 3cm squares. The crackers do not need to be separated. Use a fork to prick the surface of the crackers. Bake for 12-15 minutes until crisp. 
When done, remove baking sheet from oven, separate crackers and place on a wire rack to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.

3 comments:

  1. haha my husband has the same reaction ^;^ if I bake anything with rye in it :D but once I tried rye bread recipe with guinness stout, he liked it. the quiche looks inviting..yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a creative way of using up the crackers! I love quiches and this one looks mouthwatering! Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @msforty5: Yes, these husbands - so picky sometimes! Ooh, but that rye and stout bread sounds good. Thanks for the idea!

    @Renata: Thanks Renata! Quiche is such a delicious way to use up leftovers, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!