The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

British invasion: Leek and potato pie

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

LEEK AND POTATO PIE: IS IT BRITISH?  
I cannot remember what it was about leeks that I didn't like before and I cannot imagine not being a fan of the vegetable but I only started using it in my cooking a couple of years ago.
The first dish I cooked with the vegetable was a leek and potato soup. I figured if the taste was so bad, at least the potatoes in the dish would save it from the bin.
It was rather good if I do say so myself and since then I've cooked with leeks many times.
To continue my exploration of lunchtime dishes from around the world, I've headed to the UK today and made a leek and potato pie. Now, I don't know if leek and potato pie has British origins, but the first time I saw a picture and recipe for the pie, it was in a British cooking magazine against a setting that had the look of the English countryside and so I have always thought of it as British. I've promised myself to look it up.

Leek and Potato Pie
Makes 2

2 medium new potatoes
Vegetable oil
1 large leek, sliced on the diagonal and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tbsp grated cheese
2 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 (10cm) pieces ready-rolled puff pastry squares
1 egg, beaten
Garnish (optional): poppy, sesame or black onion seeds

Wash the potatoes, but leave the skins on. Boil, steam or microwave until half cooked. Slice into 3mm pieces.
In a frying pan, heat a little oil and add the sliced leeks and garlic. Saute until the leeks are wilted. Remove from heat and place in a bowl with the potato slices. Add cheese and cream, if using. Season to taste. Set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Lay down 2 puff pastry squares on a clean work surface. Brush the edges with beaten egg and divide potato and leek filling between them. Top with the other 2 pieces of pastry and crimp the edges to seal.
Place pies on a greased baking pan. Poke air vents in the top with a knife or fork and brush with more egg. Sprinkle on seeds, if using. Bake until pastry is crisp and top is golden, 20-25 minutes.


More to fill and roll
Sweet Potato Mushroom Braid
Spring Onion Pancake
Date Pillows

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! I don't mind having some for lunch in office, so convenient!

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!