The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Spice up the clam chowder

Saturday, April 7, 2012

COCONUT CLAM CHOWDER WITH PAPADOMS 
I didn't miss meat while I was abstaining during Lent, but when I saw the lovely clams at the market today, the 44 days of eating only vegetables hit me hard.
With almost half a kilo of the mussels in my shopping bag, I knew I was in for a treat. And I knew I wouldn't go wrong with a chowder.
It is like a normal "American" chowder, with potatoes, but instead of milk, I made the stock with coconut milk and added some curry powder. Inspired by these Indian tastes, the saltines are replaced with fried papadoms.

Coconut Clam Chowder
Serves 1

400g clams in their shells
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp oil
½ onion, finely diced
1 russet potato, cut into small cubes
250ml coconut milk
½ tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper
Fried papadoms and coriander leaves to serve

Wash clams and place in a pot with enough water to just cover. Cover pot and bring liquid to the boil. When clam shells open, remove from heat. Drain liquid but reserve. Remove clams from their shells.
Heat butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat; sweat onions (do not allow to brown). When translucent, add potato and reserved clam stock. Bring to the boil then turn down heat, cover the pot and simmer until potato is cooked. Add coconut milk and curry powder and bring to the boil.
Remove pot from heat and using a hand blender, purĂ©e the soup roughly so that it is thick and creamy but there are still chunks of potato. Season with salt and pepper.
Return pot to the heat and add clam meat; cook until clams are heated through. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with fried papadoms.

1 comment:

  1. This certainly looks delicious, a bowl for me please:) Hope you had a Happy Easter:)

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!