The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Daring Bakers: Mille Feuille/Napoleon

Saturday, October 27, 2012

NO NEED TO SPELL IT OUT: MAGNIFICENT MILLE FEUILLE 
Our October 2012 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Suz of Serenely Full. Suz challenged us to not only tackle buttery and flaky puff pastry, but then take it a step further and create a sinfully delicious Mille Feuille dessert with it!
(I have to say I didn't feel any guilt creating – or eating – this dessert!)
Suz provided an excellent recipe and step-by-step instructions for the mille feuille, from the pastry to the filling and assembly. I followed the recipe for the puff pastry exactly and didn't have any problems.
To make a small mille feuille, I only needed half of the pastry and used the other half for some old-school cream horns which took me back to my childhood.
Suz wrote that the traditional mille feuille is filled with a vanilla pastry cream (crème pâtissière). It is also known as a Napoleon (thought to refer to Naples in Italy rather than the diminutive French emperor), a custard slice or a vanilla slice. It’s often topped with royal icing and distinctive chocolate squiggles.
Succulent and sweet red dragon fruit
Well, my strips of pastry were a little burnt and so I thought I would draw attention away from that by building the layers up with slices of fruit. I've read that strawberries are commonly used, but I stayed local and used red dragon fruit. Instead of a custard-based pastry cream, my mille feuille has a filling of whipped cream and jam – it takes less work but is no less delicious, I think. The vanilla icing for the top is also much easier to make and doesn't contain raw egg whites as in a royal icing. The chocolate icing for the feathered effect is a paste of cocoa powder, powdered sugar and water.
French for "thousand sheets", the mille feuille gets its name from the multi-layered puff pastry which expands when cooked. However, the pastry layers of the mille feuille are actually pressed down while baking to prevent this from happening and I've always wondered why. None of my reference books nor online searches has an explanation. I posed this question on the Daring Bakers forum and Heather, Renata and Suz had thought about it too. Renata and Suz suggest it might be for texture since puffed up, "bumpy" pastry isn't very neat or flat. That's certainly plausible.
A thousand visible sheets or not, no one can say this dish wouldn't be the high point of any high tea.
The slicing could be a little less messy :-p
Mille Feuille with Dragon Fruit
Serves 6

325g puff pastry, preferably homemade (here are the recipe and instructions)

Vanilla Icing
125g (1 cup) icing sugar, sifted
¼ tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate Icing
30g (¼ cup) icing sugar, sifted
½ tbsp cocoa powder

Filling
110g raspberry jam
160ml cream, whipped
½ large red dragon fruit

On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out to about 30cm x 24cm. Cut the rectangle into three equal pieces (10cm x 24cm).
Place the pastry on a large baking sheet lined with grease-proof paper. Prick the pastry strips all over with a fork. Place another sheet of grease-proof paper over the top and then a heavy baking tray.
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Bake the pastry for about 25 minutes, removing the top layer of grease-proof paper and tray 10 minutes before the end for the tops to brown. Keep an eye on them and lower the temperature if they are browning too much. Cool on a wire rack.
To make Chocolate Icing: Mix the icing sugar and cocoa with ½ tbsp hot water to get a smooth paste like melted chocolate, adding more water if necessary. Spoon into a paper icing bag.
To make Vanilla Icing: In a heatproof bowl, mix the icing sugar and vanilla with 1-1½ tsp hot water. Stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring until the icing is smooth and glossy. Spread icing on one of the cooled pastry strips. Pipe diagonal lines with Chocolate Icing. Drag a skewer along the icing at intervals in alternate directions to give a feathered effect. Leave to set on a wire rack.
To make the filling: Peel the dragon fruit and cut the half into four wedges. Cut each wedge into thin slices. Spread jam over the two un-iced pastry strips and top with slices of dragon fruit, overlapping them slightly. Cover the fruit with whipped cream. Finally, sandwich the three layers together with the iced strip on top.
Cut into six slices with a serrated knife and serve.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Jane! Your Mille feuille looks so beautiful with that bright pink dragonfruit filling. I have always wondered what this fruit tastes like, I never had a chance to try it, but it is so attractive! Love your plating :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mille Feuille looks so fresh and summery Jane. I've been off on a google search about Dragon fruit, like Renata I have never tried them and think they are fairly rare in New Zealand.
    ...and cream horns they take me back to my childhood too, another thing on my baking "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jane! WOW! Your Napoleon turned out simply fantastic! I was instantly drawn in by the dragon fruit filling - its so vibrant! And I love that you used whipped cream instead of pastry cream, what a light and summery treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so wonderful and so difficult to make! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love the colour of the dragon fruit - what a great idea to incorporate it. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that color! And I bet it tasted great too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That dessert really pops! It looks very moist and delicious. I love that color. well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, I love your mille feuille so much! It looks so appetising and bright with that beautiful colour of the dragon fruit. I've never tried dragon fruit either, but now I really want to. Absolutely beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!