The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Bread in a clay baker

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I have been baking bread in a cast iron Dutch oven, but the loaves are round because of the shape of the pot, and I don't find them completely suitable for sandwiches. But I got a Romertopf unglazed clay baker ~ don't think it was ever used ~ from a thrift shop in San Jose on my last trip to California. Brand new, it's priced at US$59 plus shipping. I got it for just an odd cent over US$4, and carried it home as hand luggage safely bubble-wrapped. How's that for a bargain? I baked an Italian semolina loaf in it yesterday. Had a toasted cheese and mango chutney sandwich this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Wow the bread looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the other day I was looking at one of these online, they are so beautiful! What a bargain! I'm envious (in a good sense, of course :o) Your loaf is delightful, Jane!

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!